Tuesday 28 June 2011

NYX Round Lipstick Review, Photo, Swatches and FOTD

I recently ordered some lip stuff on the NYX website and a couple of days ago I finally got my goodies!! This first review is for the two Round Lipstick I purchased, Power and Tea Rose.

L-R: Tea Rose, Power



Tea Rose is a gorgeous rosy pink with a touch of coral.
Power is a cool-toned pale pink with strong purple undertones.
They are both very pigmented, opaque and creamy, in fact they are so creamy that applying straight from the tube will likely result in a hot bleedy mess. I find that their beauty is maximized when using a lip brush and working the colour in layers. Also, I think that with this kind of formula using a lipliner as a base is a must. NYX make some excellent inexpensive lip liners that I will review soon. They both have a creamy, luminous finish and feel very hydrating.

Swatches on the inside of my arm:
 
L-R: Power, Tea Rose

The packaging is very simple but it scores a big plus for me since the actual colour of the lipstick is reproduced on the bottom of the tube, which makes finding them extremely easy!
The only thing I really dislike about them is their smell! I'm not easily bothered by smells in cosmetics, but these have a very strong fragrance that is still detectable half an hour after the application. I'm no good at describing fragrances, but this one I really do not like. I was really put off by this one detail because it makes wearing these lipsticks definitely less pleasant than I expected.

As for the duration, I wouldn't classify them as "long wearing" but they definitely last 3 to 4 hours without budging. I would use a lip primer underneath for best results though! My MAC Prep+Prime Lip extends their wear and brightness of a good hour/hour and a half.
They are really good value for your money, since they cost £4.95 on the NYX UK website, though you can easily get them for less on Lovemakeup or Cocktailcosmetics.
 
RECAP! PROs:- beautiful shades (and many more in the whole range)
- pigmented and creamy
- moisturizing feel - inexpensive- practical packaging
CONs:- the smell! (although this really depends on you)- tendency to bleed

To finish off this post, here's me wearing Power! 



Product breakdown
FACE
MUFE HD Foundation 117 + MAC Face&Body C3
MAC Pro Longwear Concealer NC15
MAC Blush in Dame
Ben Nye Neutral Set Powder

EYES
MAC Soft Ochre Paint Pot
Estee Lauder Double Wear eyeliner in Onyx
NYX Black e/s (smudged on top of eyeliner)
Inglot e/s DS501 (lid), Matte348 (crease, lower lashline), Pearl453 (browbone&tearduct)
Max Factor 2000 Calories Mascara

LIPS
NYX Slim Lip Liner in Dolly Pink
NYX Round l/s in Power

1 comment: